Community Programs Coordinator
Patapsco Heritage Greenway’s (PHG) mission is to preserve, protect, interpret and restore the environment, history, and culture of the Patapsco Valley. We seek to reach our mission through a robust environmental stewardship program, expanding recreational opportunities, and managing the Patapsco Valley Heritage Area (PVHA), one of thirteen Maryland state heritage areas, in support of heritage tourism initiatives. We seek a community programs coordinator to join our team, based in Ellicott City, Maryland.
Summary of Job Description: The desired candidate, under the supervision of the Environmental Program Manager, will plan, coordinate and lead community programs including but not limited to tree plantings, tree maintenance, native plant education workshops, rain barrel/rain garden education workshops, stream cleanups, invasive plant removals, and other programs. The Community Programs Coordinator will also provide support to the water quality monitoring coordinator and other community engagement projects undertaken by PHG. The Community Programs Coordinator will assist in recruiting, training, and retaining volunteers as well as foster key partnerships with businesses, community organizations, educational institutions and other non-profits and agencies. During Fall and Spring event seasons, a Sunday to Thursday schedule or Tuesday to Saturday schedule is generally necessary.
- Candidates with a Bachelor’s Degree in biology, ecology, environmental science, and/or field experience.
- Candidates with experience working/partnering with community organizations of all backgrounds.
- Candidates with experience leading environmental-based programs
- Candidates with strong organizational and interpersonal skills as well as excellent written, verbal and public communication skills.
- Motivated, flexible, problem solver with an ability to work as part of a team, with partners, and individually to complete projects in a timely manner.
- Familiarity with and knowledge of Baltimore County and Howard County communities, Patapsco Valley history, as well as some Spanish and/or Korean language proficiency is beneficial but not required.
- Driver’s License
- Candidates with the ability to lift at least 25 pounds.
- Create/update tree planting and tree maintenance SOP’s
- Create and/or maintain community partnerships including managing communications, feedback, etc.
- Collect and manage environmental program data for grants and other reports
- In collaboration with PHG staff, create heritage, arts & culture, environmental, and recreational crossover programming, including but not limited to outdoor recreation events and nature/history hikes
- Assist with supervision and training of event assistants, PHG interns, and volunteers
- Represent the organization at community events.
- Other duties as assigned.
Working for PHG:
This is a full-time (40 hours/week), benefitted position, which requires some weekend and evening hours.
PHG focuses on creating a positive work environment and offers the following benefits with this position:
- Salary Range: $37,000-$41,000 depending on qualifications and experience.
- We provide an annual stipend to offset the cost of health insurance premiums.
- We offer a 403(b) plan with 5% match for full-time employees and provide a cell phone stipend for staff who use their phone for work.
- We provide support for and encourage professional development opportunities, including trainings, conferences and networking events.
- We provide reimbursement for work-related travel expenses.
- Our team works in a hybrid fashion both virtually and in our Ellicott City office. We expect candidates to be located within driving distance of Ellicott City.
- We are a small organization and work hard to create a team atmosphere. Everyone is approachable, lines of communication are open, and we participate in regular team building exercises.
- Staff have access to a company vehicle for work events.
To Apply: Submit a cover letter and resume in a single document to firstname.lastname@example.org by Noon Eastern Time on June 27, 2022 with the subject line “Community Programs Coordinator Application.” For more information about PHG and the PVHA, visit patapsco.org and our social media platforms. If you have questions about the position, please feel free to email email@example.com.