The Milltown of Ilchester and the Thistle Manufacturing Company were located along the east bank of the Patapsco River between Ellicott City and Catonsville. The Baltimore and Ohio Railroad (B&O) was built through Ilchester in 1830. Ilchester did not, however, become a major stop for the B&O due to its steep grades and the tavern was unsuccessful.
Ellicott sold his tavern and 110 acres of land to a Redemptorist church order in 1866. The church used the Ellicott estate to start a college, initially called Mount Saint Clemens and several additions to the original building were made, including the construction of a chapel. The parish moved the church to a new facility in 1958 and eventually, enrollment at the college declined, leading to its closure in 1972. The State of Maryland purchased a portion of the campus in 1987 and added the land to adjacent Patapsco Valley State Park.
- Catonsville 1880 to 1940, From Village to Suburb by Joseph Arnold and Ed Orser
- Catonsville – Images of America by Marsha Wight Wise.
- Catonsville Rails to Trails
- Catonsville at the Turn of the Century Baltimore County Public Library-Digital Maryland
- It All Started on Winters Lane by Louis Diggs