Granite

Granite Granite The Granite Historic District is significant for its association with the granite quarrying industry in western Baltimore County in the 19th and early 20th centuries. Originally known as Waltersville and renamed Granite due to its principal product, the village was the center of this industry. During its peak in the late 19th century,…

Read More

Relay

Relay Relay The town of Relay has always been closely linked to the B&O Railroad. The name was derived from the changing of teams of horses that pulled a wooden wagon/carriage on rails between Baltimore and Ellicott Mills. By the Civil War, Relay had become a key railroad location for east-west train passengers to transfer…

Read More

Oella

Oella Oella The community of Oella dates to 1808 and is reportedly named in honor of the first woman “who applied herself to the spinning of cotton on the continent”. In 1809 the Ellicott family sold a 458-acre tract of land just north of “lower ” Ellicott Mills to the Union Manufacturing Company. The community…

Read More

Ellicott City

Ellicott City Ellicott City From 1770 to 1900, The Patapsco River provided a large portion of the power that fueled Maryland’s and the Nation’s Industrial Revolution. In the early 1770s, the Ellicotts (three Quaker brothers), were the first to harness the power of the mighty river to establish a grist mill in the vicinity of…

Read More

Elkridge

Elkridge Elkridge Elkridge, the oldest settlement in Howard County, Maryland, began in colonial times as early as 1687. In 1743 Caleb and Edward Dorsey were granted patents to the land known as Elk Ridge Landing. The venture was initially successful with shipments of hogsheads of tobacco, pig iron, and grain making their way from the…

Read More

Daniels (Alberton | Elysville)

Daniels (Alberton | Elysville) Daniels (Alberton | Elysville) The town’s history can be traced to the 1830s when Thomas Ely and his four brothers first built a mill at this location on the Patapsco River. Known originally as Elysville, the town’s name changed as subsequent owners took over the mill’s operation. In 1940 the community…

Read More

Ilchester

Ilchester Ilchester The Milltown of Ilchester and the Thistle Manufacturing Company were located along the east bank of the Patapsco River between Ellicott City and Catonsville. The Baltimore and Ohio Railroad (B&O) was built through Ilchester in 1830. Ilchester did not, however, become a major stop for the B&O due to its steep grades and…

Read More

Catonsville

Catonsville Catonsville Castle Thunder was built in 1787 along the Frederick Turnpike. The land originally belonged to Charles Carroll who had commissioned his son-in-law to develop a plot of land along the Frederick Turnpike just east of the colonial period “rolling road”. Catonsville was established during the 1830s-1840s on the high ridge between Baltimore and…

Read More